Saturday, June 13, 2009

A Trip to the Zoo

















This morning I told Josh that I wanted saturdays to be family day. It seems like we always end up leaving a big to do list for saturdays and we spend most of our time running errands, doing chores and housework or house projects. We live in a busy place and it's hard to get a lot done during the week. That stuff is all fine but time is so precious and I wanted to start doing some fun things as a family especially when the weather is nice. So while Raegan was taking a morning nap I looked on the internet for some fun things to do and we decided we would take her to the zoo. We live so close to D.C and yet today was the first time that Josh and I have gone up there since we moved here. So I packed a backpack and when Raegan got up we headed up to the Metro station and on to the National Zoo in D.C. It took us a while to get there due to Metro delays but from what I hear it would have been a lot worse to drive due to traffic. We finally made it there and Raegan needed a diaper change and we realized that I left the diapers that were supposed to go into the backpack on the counter. So luckily 7-11 sold diapers, granted they were the most expensive diapers I have ever bought but well worth every penny! We thought Raegan would get really cranky since it took us so long to get there and we were joking that it would take us 2 hours to get there and we would spend 1/2 hour there and have to leave. But once Raegan started seeing the animals she was hooked! She definitely loves animals. She loves Kona and her stuffed animals and reading about animals in her books. But the look on her face was priceless when she looked up and saw real live zoo animals. We got to see elephants, zebras, tigers, lions, gorillas,and farm animals. Raegan also really liked looking at the prarie dogs;they really made her laugh. And she loved being able to pet the cow at the farm animal section of the zoo. She was trying to climb out of my arms to get closer to the cows. I think she would have gone right into the pens with them! Maybe we have a little cowgirl on our hands! She did really well despite being so tired and hot. She really didn't fuss that much at all the whole time we were there. And a bonus to our already great day was that we got to eat dinner at our favorite place, the Lebanese Taverna because there was one right by the Metro station.
We had a really fun day today! Raegans first Metro experience and trip to the zoo! I am so glad we decided to put off our work until another day. These are the days that we will always remember! I am looking forward to going back to the zoo and spending more fun family days together in the coming weeks!

No comments: