On Saturday we threw a 1st birthday party/farewell to our friends ( since we are moving this week) at a local park. We were so happy that so many of our friends were able to come out to celebrate our baby girl's 1st birthday with us. We debated on whether we should take the kids to play on the playground first or wait until after we ate but decided to let them play first. When we got back from the playground the food was hot off the grill and it started to thunder. My first thought was "uh oh, this is not what the weather report said". The rain held off a little bit but by the time everyone was eating it was pouring down rain. Fortunately Josh and I decided to reserve a big pavillion rather than a small one. So even though it was raining everyone was able to sit at tables and eat and stay dry! When Karis saw the rain she immediately started reaching it out for it with a big smile on her face. It was almost as if she was saying " wow mom, thanks for the rain for my birthday party, this is great!" Everyone else seemed to enjoy watching the birthday girl splash her hands in the rain pouring down. After we ate we all sang happy birthday to Karis and she enjoyed a strawberry cupcake. I am pretty sure she has a sweet tooth. Raegan never ate cake but Karis ate almost the whole cupcake like a pro! Karis was also blessed with wonderful gifts from our friends ( big sister approved of the gifts as well). So even though we had not optimal weather conditions we couldn't have asked for a better day of celebration!
I got to thinking about the rain later and it made me think about the journey that we had while we were trying to bring Karis into our family ( and the journey to Raegan as well). I thought about how fitting it was that God allowed the rain for her party. It made me look back and remember that even when it seemed like rain was pouring down on us as we faced hardships through infertility and both adoptions, God always had a plan. He had a plan for the 2 failed embryo adoption attempts that we had before I ultimately got pregnant with Karis. We know those embies are in heaven now and we know that God had a plan for Karis to be in our family. I couldn't imagine life without her now that she is here. To me it was devastating when we I faced negative pregnacny tests but to God it was perfection because it was His plan all along. When I thought about the possibiltiy of it raining for the party I thought it would ruin the party but when I saw the look on my little girl's face when she saw and delighted in the rain at her birthday party it made sense. God's plan doesn't always seem perfect but it always is. So thank you God for bringing the rain!
Next weekend we are having a family birthday party for Karis and my dad, Pop Pop ( who was also born on August 13th and I know it will also be a wonderful day of celebration, rain or shine.
No comments:
Post a Comment