Sunday, August 22, 2010

Meaning








Josh and I have a hard time coming up with names that we both agree on. When I was pregnant with Karis we were convinced she was a boy in the beginning so we had pretty much agreed on a boy's name. When we went to have the "official" ultrasound and they told us that she was a girl we laughed because we knew we had a lot more work to do in the name department. With both Raegan and Karis we knew that the first name that we both actually agreed on was going to be the name. With Karis' name we had discussed other names but didn't really agree on anything. We thought we were going to name her Gabriella but it is more popular than we wanted and we also were afraid that she would get called nicknames that we didn't really like although it is a beautiful name and we love it's meaning. So we kept it on the drawing board but kept looking at other names. We both wanted our children's names to not only be names that sound nice but also have special meaning. We began to look at the meanings of names and we came across Karis which means "grace" in Greek. We both knew that it was perfect.What better word to describe what his child means to us than "grace". We decided to use Gabriella as her middle name which means " God is my strength". We liked this meaning as well because Raegan's name means " spiritual strength". To me both of my girls are a source of a spiritual strength. Our journey through adoption with both of them has been difficult but it was also been a source of spiritual growth that I wouldn't trade for anything. I wouldn't be the person that I am today if it wasn't for the journey that God has taken us on to receive these 2 precious gifts.

So that is how we came up with Karis' name. As I was looking at birth announcements last night I came across a little quote that said " All of God's grace in one tiny face". I think I will use that. What a great description of our baby girl.

( I have included some pictures that I took of our precious girls outside when Karis was 6 days old)

1 comment:

Barbara said...

Karis is indeed a gift of grace. She is precious in His sight. We give Him the glory for this amazing life. Grandma Barbie